After a little break, I returned back to my favourite topic – as well as to continue work with my research proposal about – elearning process visibility.
I’m try to clarify the framework for my thoughts and things & methods to research with. The context deals with the field of elearning, in the areas of learning processes. The approach tries to reach elaboration through observing the learning process: in theory and in practice. Enrich the aspects of a learner and a mentor. Objectives are set to understand better – recognize – the details/nyances and differences of pre-defined (proactive approach) and authentic (pragmatic? approach) learning processes. Utilization of the results aspire supporting learning and tuition by the presumed higher visibility provided by the understanding these nyances and differences: what’s really happening? Utilization is presumed to support learning and tuition as an individual (learner, mentor) and a collaborative (peer, group, community, networked) activity.
Why all this? I’m not interested if all this sounds relevant or irrelevant – meaning the “seeing more ’bout the processes” thematics. Why to observe or try understand processes and their differences – is it useful? We don’t know, if we do not try to look. In my opinion, normativity comes afterwards – I am not willing to create any suggestions or concepts before I am able to see clearer – the details and the differences.
I went for a little walk to get some air to my thinking and some miscallaneous thoughts did cross my mind.
1) Do the learning and e-learning processes differ? If do, where, why and how? One aspect could be the variety of our presence: physical, face to face, virtual, networked. For example, connectivism promotes the learning of networks, not individuals that much. What is the role of individual learning? Well, at least we play a significant role of a node in the networks, and if the nodes affect on the learning, we should be deeply aware of the learning in these nodes.
2) Can learning be seen as a process – presumably highly individual and continously in progreess – , which consists of different learning situations, “sub-processes” – which are useful to put under observation? Can we gain more if we could recognize this network of processes and see clearly the “things” within? Are we able – by seeing more – to elaborate and develop our learning or the learning of those who we mentor?
3) What this visibility actually is or could be? Seeing more? Recognizing things we don’t traditionally see? Seeing the undeterministic nature or characteristics of things that relate to learning?
4) Seeing can be traitorous: things may not be what they seem. Risk of subjectivity? This is an interesting question (well.. at least for me), thinking about the challenge what we may face when trying reach deeper understanding of individual nature of deep learning and an objective view of things that really matter or should be considered e.g. in guidance?
5) Tools for process visibility? Cabability of the modern IT-era: our actions occur more or less in networks, using different tools to connect, produce, collaborate, filter etc. -> focus lies highly in the content and the structure (networks, communities), yet – in some cases – the line is quite difficult to draw. How does – or should – the content or the structures tell us information about HOW we work? For example, how do we learn? Or: how are we learning today – now? Where are we heading with our learning – into a good or bad direction? If the latter, what we should do to correct the “navigation”?Despite the ever-increasing pace of openness and real time web promotes quick (and unfortunately sometimes: dirty..) ethos, should we be more interested in questions like “where we are going”? Where SHOULD we be going? Whats the difference with our “vision” and our actions? I believe that the shared content or the structures cannot tell us that – at least comprehensive enough. Is there need for knowing these things? For sure – not just by my or your subjective view about our excellence, enthusiasm or else, possibly even emotionally-driven estimates? When you stand or swim in the information flow – even the serendipidious floating is welcome every now and then – can you locate yourself in the map where you want to be? Are you really heading for your big objectives? If you know that you are, please comment, what tools or methods you use, that you can be so sure – or can you even see, that there are lacks or deviation with your actions past, now and future, that demands you to develop things to achieve the goal? Yes, I know: these kind of analysis would give us also bad news: your action is – despite the high volume and quick tempo – insufficient here and there. The core of genunine deep learning is merciless: the quantity does not substitute quality.
I feel no bloodstopping relief after writing this out – vice versa I might say. But cause these thoughts seem to haunt me, it sounds an excellent field of study 😉
What inspires me the most, is the approach: I imagine that someone could say, that I’m trying to see something irrelevant or something that there is not.I understand and consider that it is natural. But, only denying things – it gives us no wisdom.This intuition encourages me to continue and look further – asking the right questions?
Any comments my friends?